Decoupage is a craft method of affixing paper decorations to a difficult surface with adhesive. By checking out a completed job, you would assume this craft method would be complicated, however it isn’t. Decoupage started in France in the 17th century as the poor man’s choice to repainted furniture. It is in fact fairly straightforward. If you can cut and paste, you already know a lot of the methods entailed.
To get going with decoupage, you cut out photos and adhesive them onto an item. The next action is to cover the object and images with a few coats of glue or decoupage medium to safeguard it. You probably have every little thing you require to make your project lying around your house today. Collect your supplies and begin crafting.
Decoupage medium is an all-in-one sealant, glue, and finish used for creating decoupaged artworks. Utilize it on timber, fabric and other porous surface areas. It dries out clear and holds your glued-on paper cuts limited.
Supplies You Required
As with any craft project you make, you must constantly check out the directions first. Make a list of supplies that you need to buy, although you may already have several of the products currently in your house.
– Choose what object you desire to decorate with decoupage. You can add pictures to almost anything: furnishings, image albums, shelving, structures, boxes, vases, mirrors, hardcover publications, trays, bags, recipes, candle lights, cans, containers, egg cartons, rocks, and a lot more.
– Discover a picture resource. The choices are endless: cut out pictures, motifs, or forms from wrapping paper, wallpaper, textile, napkins, greeting cards, postcards, photographs, traveling pamphlets, handbills, programs, yard seed plans, web pages from old publications, foil-covered paper, paper doilies, bow, posters, dried out flowers, cells paper, and also more. You can additionally purchase paper as well as pictures made particularly for decoupage. You can copy clip art, photos, stories, rhymes, as well as other items printed from your computer, with special considerations for pictures printed utilizing an inkjet printer.
– Choose what decoupage medium to utilize. You can buy a product made especially for decoupaging, such as Mod Podge or Collection Pauge. You need to contend the very least among those in your craft cupboard, however in a pinch, a little watered down white glue will do.
The items above are the essential supplies you need, yet there are a few various other items you could find convenient to utilize in your decoupage trip:
– Bone folder: You can utilize this to aid ravel creases as well as get rid of excess adhesive. You can also purchase a tool made specifically for this, called a brayer.
– Foam brush: Use this to spread out the decoupage medium or adhesive onto the item you will decoupage. If you don’t have a foam brush, you can make use of a common paintbrush and even a cotton bud.
– Scissors: Utilize to cut out the pictures and other products you will be decoupaging. To help with cutting decorative paper with a lot of small details, you might want to utilize scissors with smalls blades or an utility knife.
– Tweezers: Tweezers are sometimes a great help when it comes to placing tiny pictures.
– Damp cloth: Maintain one nearby to clean up excess glue and also to help with various other tidy up. See to it the dustcloth perspires as well as not saturating damp when utilizing it to remove excess decoupage tool from your glued papers. A moist rag likewise helps to keep your hands clean while working with adhesive.
Getting going With Your Task
As soon as you’ve collected all of your products, you can begin on your task by complying with along with these simple directions.
See to it the item you’re decoupaging is tidy, eliminating any type of dust or dust. It should also be completely dry. If you’re going to repaint your item initially, the paint has to be completely dry before you begin decoupaging (no tackiness). This instance made use of spray paint with an added-in guide to paint a wood tray. Make sure the paint you use is appropriate for the things you plan to decoupage.
Cut out the pictures you are going to use. It helps to use an X-Acto blade to remove the paper pieces that have a fair bit of complex information.
Prior to you include adhesive, prepare the pictures onto the item you are decoupaging until you like the method they look. The pictures can be in any type of positioning you like as well as can also overlap.
Working in a tiny section at once, get rid of the pictures and also apply a charitable layer of decoupage tool onto the thing you are decoupaging. Ensure you completely cover any kind of location the picture will touch. If you prefer, you can spread the medium onto the rear of the picture.
Stick the picture on the decoupage tool. Utilize your finger to delicately push down the picture (for a huge photo, begin with the center and also work your way out) and also push out any wrinkles as well as excess tool. You can additionally make use of a bone folder or brayer to do this.
Continue with the last 2 actions up until all of your images are glued on.
Let the decoupage medium dry. If you are utilizing pictures on thicker paper, such as photos or welcoming cards, they can take longer to completely dry.
Watch for bubbles as your pictures completely dry. If one types, utilize a pin or utility blade to pop it and after that use your fingers to smooth it down.
As soon as the tool is dry, coat your item extensively with another layer of the decoupage tool. Allow this dry.
Remain to add layers of the tool up until you obtain the preferred results. You will wish to maintain adding layers till the edges of the pictures are all smooth.
Let your task completely dry totally prior to it prepares to make use of, display, or be distributed as a gift.
If you make use of inkjet-printed material on your tasks, allow the ink completely dry, after that spray it with hairspray. It sets the ink and afterwards you can utilize the print. Make sure both are entirely dry prior to applying your medium.
– Make xeroxes of photos as well as other original papers to use in decoupage so you can save the original. You can also take a photo of them with your phone and afterwards publish it.
– Tear your images as opposed to reducing them. Torn edges lay a little flatter and also blend a bit much better.
– Take a photo to keep in mind the placement of your paper items. It’s very easy to forget when you remove them and start decoupaging.
– When decoupaging on plastic, experiment prior to you commit. For rougher surfaces, the pictures ought to stick yet will take a little bit longer to dry. If the surface area is extremely smooth, take into consideration roughing it up with a little sandpaper.